After two weeks touring the stadia of various lower-table clubs in the Premier League (and beating them), Tottenham Hotspur return to the friendly confines of White Hart Lane to face Watford. Or, if you factor in Watford’s injury list, it’s more like they’re playing Watf.
Seriously, just look at this injury list for the HornetMoose ahead of the match tomorrow:
Out: Behrami, Kaboul, Oularé, Pereyra, Prödl, Suárez, Watson, Zárate
Doubtful: Capoue, Cleverley, Deeney, Doucouré, Gomes, Kabasele
That’s... a lot of players. Watford boss Walter Mazzarri literally said he has “no defense.” You have to think that a few of the people on this list will probably go tomorrow, as players like Capoue and Deeney were listed as doubts due to “exhaustion.” But still, place a horrifically injured Watford against a Tottenham side that hasn’t lost at home all season, and one that’s set to welcome Harry Kane back to the squad... yeeesh. This could be a bloodbath.
Oh, and that reminds me: HARRY KANE’S BACK! Mauricio Pochettino announced that Spurs’ talismanic striker returned to full training this week, and while he may not start the match, he could make the bench. That’s a huge confidence boost for a Spurs team that has been a little banged up lately, but has still won four games on the trot.
We also could see a Premier League debut for Pau Lopez! Spurs’ third-string on loan goalkeeper could be pressed into duty today, since Hugo Lloris is reportedly still sick and Michel Vorm injured his knee on Wednesday against Swansea.
You never want to take any Premier League match for granted, but this has the makings of a game that Spurs can rest players for and still win easily. Holding serve here means Spurs stay at least five points ahead of Liverpool with a game in hand, seven in front of City, and eleven in front of Arsenal. At what point can we say “mind the gap”?
#THFC: Lloris (C), Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Janssen. #COYS pic.twitter.com/QwIEhnJFwt— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 8, 2017
Updated team news: @Joshuaonomah10 replaces @VictorWanyama on the bench. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 8, 2017
Subs: Lopez, Walker, Wimmer, Nkoudou, Sissoko, Wanyama, Kane. #COYS— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 8, 2017
#watfordfc XI v @SpursOfficial: Gomes (GK) (c); Mariappa, Cathcart, Holebas; Janmaat, Cleverley, Doucouré, Amrabat; Niang, Okaka, Success. pic.twitter.com/Co2LOCZKRG— Watford FC (@WatfordFC) April 8, 2017
How to Watch
Date: Saturday, April 7, 12:30 p.m. (UK), 7:30 a.m. ET (USA)
Location: White Hart Lane, North London, UK
Match Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: NBC Sports Network (U.S.), Sky Sports 1 (UK), TSN2 (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!