Dead rubber. That’s the only way to describe this match, as well as the match against Hull on Sunday. Tottenham Hotspur have already done everything they can do this season, and effectively wrapped up their season last weekend at White Hart (*sob*) Lane.
But there are still two more matches on the schedule, annoyingly, and they must be played, so play them we will. Tottenham are at the King Power Stadium today to take on the (former) Champions of England, Leicester City. The Foxes have found that Happily Ever After hasn’t exactly been what they had expected after they rode that fairy tale unicorn to the league title last season. They ended up firing Claudio Ranieri after a disastrous start to the season and while Craig Shakespeare has righted the ship somewhat, they’re nowhere near the weirdly dominant team that they were last season.
That said, Leicester is one of only two teams that managed to take points from Spurs at White Hart Lane this season, earning a 1-1 draw in October. The Foxes have a lot more to play for than Spurs, as they are now playing for table position and a higher end-of-season payday. They’re likely to field a pretty strong side at home, while virtually everyone expects Spurs to rotate the crap out of their side.
The media has already reported that Filip Lesniak and Samuel Sashoua are set to be in Spurs’ squad today, and while we don’t know exactly what Pochettino will do, expect players like Moussa Sissoko, Vincent Janssen, and maybe even Kevin Wimmer and Michel Vorm or Paul Lopez to feature. It’s an opportunity to give a few of the fringe players a shot.
So let’s just get this over with, shall we? COYS.
#THFC: Lloris (C), Dier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko, Dele, Son, Kane. #COYS pic.twitter.com/8WseLogFZs— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) May 18, 2017
Tonight's starting XI: Schmeichel (c); Simpson, Benalouane, Fuchs, Chilwell; Mahrez, Ndidi, Amartey, Albrighton; Okazaki, Vardy. #LeiTot— Leicester City (@LCFC) May 18, 2017
How to Watch
Date/time: Thursday, May 18, 7:45 p.m. (UK), 2:45 p.m. ET (USA)
Venue: King Power Stadium, Leicester, UK
Official: Michael Oliver
TV: NBC Sports Network (USA), Sky Sports 1/HD (UK), Sportsnet World, (Canada), Optus Sport (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live Extra (USA), also fubo.tv (free 7-day trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com, also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules:
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussion of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!