The third round of the League Cup, now known as the Carabao Cup, was drawn at 4:15 a.m. UK time on Thursday morning, and Tottenham Hotspur will play a home match at Wembley Stadium against the winner of Barnsley or Derby County.
Why was the draw at such a weird time? Carabao is a Thai energy drink, and they thought the draw would appeal to the Asian market, so they held the draw at 11:00 am in Beijing. Instead, the draw started 15 minutes late, was not televised or streamed anywhere, and took nearly an hour to draw 30 ping-pong balls out of a bucket.
But whatever. Tottenham was one of the last teams drawn, but drew a relatively easy match between two lower-league sides. Derby County is a Championship team that is usually in or around the promotion playoff spots. Barnsley is also in the Championship, but were mid-table last season and sold a bunch of their players.
The Barnsley-Derby match isn’t a replay, and their second round match won’t be played until September 19. It got pushed back because Derby’s FIRST round tie against Grimsby Town was abandoned mid-match due to a waterlogged pitch. That delayed the second round tie.
The exact date and time of the Spurs match is to be determined, but the third round of the League Cup will be held the week of September 18.
Full League Cup Draw
- West Brom vs. Manchester City
- Everton vs. Sunderland
- Leicester City vs. Liverpool
- Manchester United vs. Burton Albion
- Brentford vs. Norwich City
- Wolverhampton vs. Bristol Rovers
- Burnley vs. Leeds United
- Arsenal vs. Doncaster Rovers
- Bristol City vs. Stoke City
- Reading vs. Swansea City
- Aston Villa vs. Middlesbrough
- Chelsea vs. Nottingham Forest
- West Ham vs. Bolton
- Spurs vs. Barnsley/Derby County
- Bournemouth vs. Brighton & Hove Albion