Tottenham Hotspur are back in Premier League action, this time with a tricky away tie at West Ham at the London Stadium. There may be one eye on the Champions League match against APOEL this coming week, but after disappointing home draws to Burnley and Swansea, Spurs really need a convincing win or risk being left behind in the race for the Premier League title before October even starts.
Match Date, Time and Location
Saturday, September 23, 2017, 12:30 p.m. (BST), 7:30 a.m. (ET)
London Stadium, London, UK
Match official: Michael Oliver
United Kingdom: Sky Sports Premier League
Canada: TSN1, TSN4, TSN5
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
Gosh, it’d be great to beat West Ham.
You know what’s worse than the Emirates? London Stadium. Only West Ham could manage move into a sparkling new stadium for a peach of a lease deal and have the atmosphere be actually WORSE than the Boleyn Ground. But lordy, does the former Olympic Stadium suck when it comes to atmosphere. Imagine if Spurs had won their bid to play there.
West Ham are not good, but they always seem to be good against Spurs at home. That’s what makes this particular fixture so gd annoying: we’ve seen this movie before. We’ll pound them twice at Wembley this season but will somehow find a way to piss away a win over the Hammers. Whether that comes via a Chicharito goal (possibly), an Andy Carroll header (probable), or a Mark Noble 90th minute out of nowhere thunderbastard (bank it), somehow this is always a fixture that makes Spurs fans want to gouge their eyes out.
Spurs have dropped three of their past four matches at West Ham’s home ground, but it doesn’t have to be that way. While Spurs are likely to show some minor rotation ahead of the mid-week Champions League match at APOEL Nicosia, after a heavily changed win over Barnsley there should be plenty left in the tank against the Hammers. And so long as Bilic doesn’t set up to all-out defend at home against Spurs, there should be opportunities for goals.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!