More fantastic news! After completing a perfect hat trick in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-0 win over APOEL in Nicosia on Tuesday, Harry Kane has been recognized by UEFA with a nomination for the Champions League Player of the Week!
Hat-trick hero @HKane has been nominated for the @ChampionsLeague Player of the Week award!— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 28, 2017
Vote - https://t.co/m93Iwqn9uQ #OneOfOurOwn pic.twitter.com/vCRHC8muVm
Here’s the full list of nominees, along with their stats:
- Harry Kane - Tottenham (3 goals, 3 attempts)
- Cristiano Ronaldo - Real Madrid (2 goals, 2 attempts)
- Neymar - PSG (1 assist, 1 goal, 2 attempts)
- Romelu Lukaku - Manchester United (2 goals, 4 attempts)
- Gonzalo Higuain - Juventus (1 goal, 1 attempt)
- Andres Iniesta - Barcelona (no stats listed)
- Vincent Aboukar - Monaco (2 goals, 3 attempts)
- Kevin De Bruyne - Manchester City (1 goal, 1 attempt)
The Player of the Week award is at least partially determined by an online poll, which probably puts Harry Kane at a disadvantage, but whatever. You’d think that this award would probably come down to between Kane and Ronaldo, right? I also like how Andres Iniesta apparently made the list despite not having any statistics whatsoever. (I’m assuming that’s a mistake, but still, lol. Barcelona!)
Voting ends tomorrow at 8 a.m. ET, so make sure you mash the mouse button over Kane’s picture before then. You are required to have a UEFA.com account in order to vote.