After a disappointing draw against West Ham two weeks ago followed by an FA Cup chaser win over Wimbledon, Tottenham Hotspur are back in action today in the Premier League as they host Everton at Wembley Stadium.
Match Date, Time and Location
Saturday, January 12, 2018, 12:30 p.m. (ET), 5:30 p.m. (BST)
Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Match official: Craig Pawson
United Kingdom: BT Sport 1
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
Spurs need a win to avoid falling behind.
The problem with dropping points against a team like West Ham is that it makes matches like this one against Everton that much more important. Do the job against the Hammers and suddenly a draw against a resurgent Everton side under Big Sam doesn’t seem so bad. But with the title pretty much over and the race for top four looking like a dogfight, those two points dropped against the Hammers suddenly loom large and make today’s match against the Toffees look a lot different.
It’s not a must-win by any means, but Spurs should probably expect an Allardyce-coached team to park the bus and force Spurs to (once again) try and find their way through a packed defense. This could be a low-scoring and extremely annoying affair today, provided Spurs can’t nick an early goal and force Big Sam to actually open up and play.
Spurs are without Toby Alderweireld, Danny Rose, and Harry Winks, while Everton welcome back Yannick Bolasie and former Tottenham star Aaron Lennon. Also, Everton could hand a debut to their newest signing, Turkish striker Cenk Tosun, who scored 14 goals for Besiktas in the first half of the season. Oh, and of course, Spurs shouldn’t give Gylfi Sigurdsson any space to shoot.
Tottenham have more horses than Everton, but as we’ve seen so far this season that doesn’t always matter. Three points would be very, very nice today.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!