2017 was a pretty fantastic year for Tottenham Hotspur, and also for Harry Kane. But a new year provides new challenges, and the first of those involves a trip to Wales to face a struggling Swansea side under new management.
Match Date, Time and Location
Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 2:45 p.m. (ET), 7:45 p.m. (BST)
Liberty Stadium, Swansea, Wales, UK
Match official: Bobby Madley (“Mobby Badley”)
United Kingdom: Sky Sports Premier League / Main Event
USA: NBC Sports Network
Canada: Sportsnet World/East/West/Pacific/Ontario
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
What will 2018 bring for Tottenham?
Last year was a watershed year in Tottenham’s history: a home-grown golden boot winning striker in Harry Kane, a club record in Premier League points scored, a best-ever Premier League finish, even with a significant financial disadvantage compared to its competitors.
But now Spurs begin a new year that will see them move into their new stadium. Nobody quite expects Spurs to finish second again, but a top four finish and progression to the Champions League quarterfinals would be quite nice, thank you.
That journey starts today against Tom Carroll, Kyle Naughton, and Swansea City. The Swans have had a miserable 2017-18 campaign, and are currently bottom of the table with 16 points at the halfway mark. It was enough that they sacked Paul Clement and hired Portuguese manager Carlos Carvalhal, most recently of Championship side Sheffield Wednesday. It’s not exactly a signing that fills Swansea fans with confidence.
Tottenham need to beat teams like Swansea if they want to keep pressure on the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea, all of whom are above them in the table at present. They didn’t do that the last time these teams played, the game finishing scoreless at Wembley Stadium. Can Spurs emphatically win in a way that they didn’t do in September?
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!