The last time Tottenham Hotspur played Southampton was on Boxing Day, and Spurs rolled to a 5-2 thumping of the Saints at Wembley Stadium. Today, Spurs head to St. Mary’s to face the Saints on their home turf, knowing that they need a win to keep pace with Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Manchester United in the table.
And if you’re wondering why Christian Eriksen and Hugo Lloris both miss out today, here’s why:
Match Date, Time and Location
Sunday, January 21, 2018, 11 p.m. (ET), 4 p.m. (BST)
St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton, UK
Match official: Kevin Friend
United Kingdom: Sky Sports Main Event/Premier League
USA: NBC Sports Network
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
Spurs are favorites against Southampton today.
Arsenal, Chelsea, and United all won yesterday, which puts Spurs in the unenviable position of having to win in order to keep from falling behind in the race for top four. Spurs and Southampton are the only clubs playing today, with Liverpool on a roll and heading to struggling Swansea on Monday.
Tottenham pounded Southampton 5-2 on Boxing Day behind a hat trick from Harry Kane, and one would think that Spurs are again good money to come away with three points against the struggling Saints. In fact, Southampton hasn’t won a Premier League game since a 4-0 thumping of Everton in November.
That doesn’t mean that they should be complacent, of course. We’ve seen Spurs underperform and drop points in recent games against Watford, Leicester, and West Ham, all teams in which Spurs were considered “favorites.” Stuff happens.
Spurs, however, have players like Kane, Son Heung-Min, Dele Alli, and Christian Eriksen, and Southampton have... uh, Shane Long. I think it’s fair to say that we should be disappointed if Spurs don’t come away with the three points today.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!