Tottenham Hotspur host Manchester United at Wembley Stadium today, the first match in a brutal stretch of games that will see them play Liverpool, Arsenal, and Juventus over the next two weeks.
Match Date, Time and Location
Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 8 p.m. (ET), 3 p.m. (BST)
Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Match official: Andre Marriner
United Kingdom: BT Sport 1
USA: NBC Sports Network
Canada: Sportsnet World
Australia: Optus Sport / SBS
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
The hard part of the schedule begins now.
This is the part of Tottenham Hotspur’s schedule that makes everyone who supports Spurs swallow hard. The next two weeks are absolutely critical, and it all begins by hosting United, a team that has mostly solidified itself as the best non-Manchester City team in the Premier League. And now, they’ve added another world-class talent in Alexis Sanchez in exchange for essentially one of their backup midfielders.
United is really good. But Spurs have a couple of things that run in their favor. Wembley Stadium may not be the fortress that White Hart Lane was, but Spurs are comfortable there now, and nobody’s talking about the “Wembley Curse” anymore. There should be a raucous pro-Tottenham crowd in attendance today. Also, Hugo Lloris, Christian Eriksen, and Danny Rose are back in contention to start, which means that Spurs should be able to put out a very strong lineup.
Spurs can absolutely beat United today, but any kind of result would be viewed as a success. Spurs turn around quickly and head to Liverpool at the weekend, and then have an FA Cup replay against Newport before hosting a North London Derby. Oh, and there’s Juventus in the Champions League. It’s not at all hyperbole to say that this is a season defining stretch of matches for Spurs. It’d be nice to start that stretch out on the right foot.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!