This match has been circled on the calendar ever since the Champions League draw took place. Tottenham Hotspur vs. Barcelona, in the Champions League. At Wembley Stadium. It has the potential to be one of the Glory, Glory Nights that Spurs have experienced during their years of European competitions.
But both teams are entering into this match under a cloud. For Spurs, it’s injuries — six first team players are out and will not feature against the Blaugranes — Michel Vorm, Jan Vertonghen, Serge Aurier, Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen, and Mousa Dembele are all out as they recover from various injuries sustained in recent weeks. It means Spurs will face off against one of the biggest clubs in Europe without their two most creative players and with some serious questions.
Barcelona has injuries — Sergi Roberto and Samuel Umtiti will both miss the match due to injury — and they also are heading into this match riding a three match winless streak in La Liga. The Barca fans I’ve spoken to are likewise glum about their team’s performance and the style of play under manager Ernesto Valverde.
This isn’t quite a must-win for Spurs, but it’s close. Any sort of result against Barcelona would help a great deal after their opening loss to Inter Milan at the San Siro. And any path they have to the knockout rounds of the Champions League would be made slightly easier if they can take points off of Barca today.
Forget the gloom and doom, because this is still Tottenham vs. Barcelona on the biggest of stages. It’s what we all wanted when we imagined Spurs in the Champions League.
How to Watch
Time/Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 | 3 p.m. ET, 8 p.m. BST
Location: Wembley Stadium, London, England
Match Official: Felix Zwayer (GER)
TV: BT Sport 2 (United Kingdom), TNT (USA-English), Univision (USA-Spanish), DAZN (Canada), Optus (Australia), other countries at www.livesoccertv.com
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It’s fine to say “wow, that’s a bad call, match official,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!