Hey guess what, there’s another international break coming up next week! England manager Gareth Southgate has named his 23-man squad for a friendly against the United States (the official send-off for Wayne Rooney that’s been in the news so much lately) and a Nations League qualifier against Croatia, both at Wembley Stadium. As usual, Tottenham Hotspur is well represented in Southgate’s squad, with five players called up: England captain Harry Kane, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Kieran Trippier, and Harry Winks.
Our #FiveLions named in Gareth Southgate's latest @England squad. pic.twitter.com/826clZFbwh— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) November 8, 2018
The match against the USA, which will be played on Thursday, November 15, has sparked controversy in the UK because it was billed as both the return and the final send-off for Wayne Rooney, who is now playing for DC United in MLS. Harry Kane has already said that he would gladly give up the captain’s armband to Rooney in this match.
“Should he have the armband against the US? Yes, of course. He deserves it. He was a great captain for us. He was the captain when I first got into the squad. If he plays, of course he’ll be the captain.
“Wayne was one of our greatest ever players and it’s a shame that his international career kind of just stopped. It will be nice to see him again and train with him again. I don’t know how long he is going to play for on Thursday but it will be good to see him back out there. I think the fans will embrace it, we should all embrace it and give him the sendoff he deserves.”
For our USA readers, the American squad will not only feature the return of Christian Pulisic to the side, but will also feature young stars Weston McKennie, Timothy Weah, and Tyler Adams. You can read more about the USA team to play England at our sister site Stars and Stripes FC.
England will also play Croatia again in the Nations League on November 18, the third meeting between the two sides in about three months after the World Cup semifinal and the Nations League match a few weeks ago played in an empty stadium in Croatia.
Here’s the list of the full 23-man England squad called up for these two matches.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
- Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Ross Barkley (Chelsea)
- Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham)
- Jack Butland (Stoke City)
- Ben Chilwell (Leicester City)
- Fabian Delph (Manchester City)
- Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion)
- Joe Gomez (Liverpool)
- Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Michael Keane (Everton)
- Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
- Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)
- Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
- Jordan Pickford (Everton)
- Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)
- Wayne Rooney (DC United)
- Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)
- Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
- Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)
- John Stones (Manchester City)
- Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
- Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)
- Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth)
- Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)