There isn’t a whole lot of mystery as to what Tottenham Hotspur needs to do to avoid dropping out of the Champions League today. It’s a straightforward enough task. The problem is that it’s just exceedingly difficult.
The job: beat Barcelona at Camp Nou.
According to the Guardian today, since 2008 Barcelona have played 306 home matches. They’ve lost only 17. Four of those losses came to Real Madrid. It just doesn’t happen very often.
There is hope, though — Barcelona have already qualified for the next round, so their motivation is somewhat questionable. In addition, Barca have already lost at home once this season, to Real Betis in early November, so it can happen. Ernesto Valverde is expected to name a side that is at least moderately rotated, though that rotation may not include Lionel Messi. But still: it’s Barca. At home. In the Champions League. Nervous yet?
Spurs know that if they want to be sure of advancing, they must win (though they can still advance if they better Inter Milan’s results at home vs. PSV). That means they will pull no punches today. Third string right back Kyle Walker-Peters plays out of necessity, but so will all of Spurs’ best players. They will try and go straight at Barcelona and accomplish what might just be the biggest win in Mauricio Pochettino’s tenure.
#THFC: Lloris (C), Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Winks, Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane.— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) December 11, 2018
Latest odds from @WilliamHill ➡️ https://t.co/aS6OZR0QtL pic.twitter.com/U7eQh7aDzO
Barça XI— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) December 11, 2018
⚽ #BarçaSpurs pic.twitter.com/mGBYzcLre5
How to Watch
Time/Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 | 3 p.m. ET, 8 p.m. BST
Location: Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain
Match Official: Milorad Mažić (SRB)
TV: BT Sport 3 (United Kingdom), TNT (USA-English), Univision (USA-Spanish), DAZN (Canada), Optus (Australia), other countries at www.livesoccertv.com
Streaming: B/R Live [$], fubo.tv (free trial), WatchTNT (USA-English), Univision Deportes En Vivo (USA-Spanish), BT Sport Live (UK)
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It’s fine to say “wow, that’s a bad call, match official,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!