Tottenham Hotspur are playing a match against the worst team in the league today. West Brom are mired at the bottom of the table, and if they drop any points today they are relegated to the Championship next season. Spurs are obviously the better team and are so close to Champions League qualification that they can almost touch it.
So who’s nervous?
The Baggies have been playing very un-Baggieish lately, with wins over Manchester United at Old Trafford and Newcastle at St. James’ Park, with a draw vs Liverpool in between. They still think that they can somehow escape the noose, and Spurs are in the way. Combine that with the historically Spurs-like tendency to step on a rake at the end of a season and you’ve got for a match that could be a lot more nervy than it has any right to be.
The last time these two teams met, Salomon Rondon scored a stupid goal in the fourth minute and Albion bunkered within an inch of their lives to earn a 1-1 draw. This time, they need to win to stay up, which could provide some opportunities for Spurs to run at their beleaguered defense.
If Spurs can get a win today, they are well positioned to not only clinch top four, but also third, or even higher — they are two points behind Liverpool with a game in hand, and are poised to take advantage if Manchester United slip up ahead of them.
Toby! A back three! WHAT EVEN IS HAPPENING?
Match Date, Time and Location
Saturday, May 6, 2018, 10 a.m. (ET), 3 p.m. (GMT)
The Hawthorns, West Bromwich, UK
Match official: Mike Jones
United Kingdom: Not televised
Canada: Sportsnet East/West/Ontario/Pacific
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!