Onward. Tottenham Hotspur have their future in their own hands today as they face Newcastle United at Wembley Stadium in the penultimate match of their Premier League season.
Despite the stupid lost to stupid West Brom, Spurs can remarkably finish in third place with a win today and a win at home against Leicester City on Sunday. But they’ll need to do it with a makeshift midfield: Eric Dier is out sick today, Mousa Dembele still hasn’t recovered from twisting his ankle against Watford, and Harry Winks is dead. That means Victor Wanyama for sure, and possibly either Moussa Dembele in midfield or a tactical tweak that pushes Christian Eriksen deeper.
Also, there’s that nagging bit of doubt. Does anyone else remember the last time Spurs played an important match with end-of-season implications against a Newcastle team with nothing to play for? Yeah, I don’t either.
#THFC: Lloris (C), Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Wanyama, Sissoko, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane. #COYS pic.twitter.com/MjndcNf41Z— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) May 9, 2018
TEAM NEWS: Here's how Newcastle United will line up against @SpursOfficial at @wembleystadium this evening (kick-off 8pm BST). #NUFC pic.twitter.com/nEJyEZgf7j— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) May 9, 2018
Match Date, Time and Location
Wednesday, May 9, 2018, 3 p.m. (EDT), 8 p.m. (GMT)
Wembley Stadium, London, UK
Match official: Neil Swarbrick
Yup, that’s right. This match is not on broadcast TV in the USA or UK. Find a pub in your area and pray. Also, this is another match where the legal stream is on NBC Sports Gold — so here’s your reminder that people who post links to or allude to where to find illegal streams will be banned. Take that offsite, please.
United Kingdom: Not televised
USA: Not televised
Canada: Sportsnet World
Australia: Optus Sport
Other countries can find their match listings at livesoccertv.com
United Kingdom: Not streamed
USA: NBC Sports Gold
Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com (requires free OneHotspur membership), also often at BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 Live, and TalkSport
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We're glad you're here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you're here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They're bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be banned.
- Please, no discussions of politics in the comments.
- We have rules against "relentless negativity." Don't knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you're frustrated.
- Along those lines, please do not abuse match officials. It's fine to say "wow, that's a bad call, match official," but it's NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton's Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community. Hate speech will not be tolerated.
Have fun, and COYS!