Tottenham Hotspur’s first preseason friendly match in the International Champions Cup went about as well as we could’ve expected! Spurs went down early to AS Roma but stormed back, scoring four first half goals en route to a 4-1 win in San Diego.
Spurs are still on the Left Coast, and now face (in theory) a much better opponent in Barcelona, this time at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.
I say “in theory” because, like Spurs, Barca have a whole raft of players who are still on vacation following the conclusion of the World Cup. That means no Messi, folks. Sorry! Here’s a list of players who are NOT with Barcelona in the United States, according to our sister site, Barca Blaugranes:
Marc-André ter Stegen, Gerard Piqué, Samuel Umtiti, Yerry Mina, Thomas Vermaelen, Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, Ivan Rakitić, Philippe Coutinho, Ousmane Dembélé, Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez
In short, we have no idea who Barca will put out there tonight, just like we don’t know who Spurs will start (though we can probably guess). However, it’s quite likely that we WILL see Malcom, whom Barca gazumped from Roma last week.
Tottenham are unlikely to play Victor Wanyama, who was absent from the open training in LA yesterday, and there are doubts over Juan Foyth, Tashan Oakley-Boothe, and Erik Lamela, who was training one-one-one yesterday.
There’s a chance that, like Juventus last year, this could be a preview of a forthcoming Champions League match. Barca are in Pot 1 and Spurs in Pot 2, so they could in theory draw each other in the group stage, or play in the knock-out rounds.
Again, this is supposed to be about fitness and knocking the rust off. Don’t get stressed out. Enjoy the game!
#THFC: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Carter-Vickers, Davies, Walker-Peters, Amos, Sissoko, Eriksen (C), Lucas, Son, Llorente. #SpursInUSA #ICC2018 pic.twitter.com/9dytohQlMo— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) July 29, 2018
XI@FCBarcelona v @SpursOfficial— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 29, 2018
How to Watch
Date/time: Saturday, July 28, 2018 | 7:05 p.m. (PT), 11:05 p.m. (ET), 4:05 a.m. Sun. (UK)
Venue: Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California
TV: ESPN (USA), Premier Sports (UK), DAZN (Canada), not televised (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN3 / WatchESPN (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com. UK - check local listings (assuming you’re up at 4 a.m.)
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It’s fine to say “wow, that’s a bad call, match official,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!