Tottenham Hotspur are back “home.” Well, it’s not home — White Hart Lane is gone, the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium won’t be finished for at least another couple of months — so it’s back to Wembley Stadium for Spurs’ first non-away match of the season.
It’s kind of nice to see Fulham back in the Premier League. With the exception of their recent stint in the Championship, they’ve been a fixture in the Premier League for as long as I’ve been a fan. They promoted last season with a fast-paced, technical style of football that was fun to watch but didn’t have a whole lot of defense behind it. They’ve brought in 12 players, including Jean-Michael Seri, André-Frank Zambo Anguissa, Andre Schurrle, and Aleksandar Mitrovic. And then there’s also teenage phenom Ryan Sessegnon.
This might be the perfect time for Spurs to play Fulham. They have a lot of new pieces, and they haven’t had a lot of time to gel as a squad. I suspect once they get their sea legs they’ll be a formidable opponent. Avoiding relegation is the very least of their goals this season.
Spurs will probably play a similar lineup to what they rolled out last week, though we might expect to see players like Toby Alderweireld, Kieran Trippier, and maybe even Danny Rose.
Two wins to start out a season that has been plagued by injuries, a lack of signings, and a host of tired World Cup heroes would be a nice way to start the season.
How to Watch
Date/time: Saturday, August 18, 2018 | 10 a.m. (ET), 3 p.m. (London)
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, UK
TV: NBCSN (USA), NBC UNIVERSO (USA-Spanish), not televised (UK), Sportsnet East/West/Pacific/Ontario (Canada), Optus/SBS (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: NBC Sports Live (USA), Fubo.tv (free trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com. UK - check local listings
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It’s fine to say “wow, that’s a bad call, match official,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!