It’s Tottenham Hotspur in a cup semifinal — that’s always a good thing, right? Spurs are in west London to face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the second leg of the Carabao Cup semifinals. Tottenham narrowly defeated the Blues 1-0 in the first leg at Wembley, but that’s a tenuous lead even when you have a fully healthy squad.
And Spurs... don’t. They are without Harry Kane and Dele Alli due to injury, and Son Heung-Min due to international duty. They do, however, have Eric Dier and Lucas Moura back, and Victor Wanyama could start on the bench. So that’s good. Chelsea were hoping to sign their new striker Gonzalo Higuain in time to start against Spurs, but they missed the deadline, so expect a strikerless formation, probably with Eden Hazard as a false 9.
All Spurs need is a draw in order to advance to face Manchester City in the final, who rolled to a 10-0 aggregate win over Burton Albion today.
Can Spurs pull out what would be a huge two-legged victory and reach a cup final?
#THFC: Gazzaniga, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen (C), Davies, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Eriksen, Lamela, Llorente @WilliamHill odds (18+) - https://t.co/49uAJz16PP #COYS pic.twitter.com/5PbC6LTQzA— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) January 24, 2019
Team news is in!— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) January 24, 2019
Here's how the Blues line up against Tottenham... #CHETOT pic.twitter.com/own55a2UWJ
How to Watch
Once again, this cup match is only legally watchable in the USA streamed online via ESPN+.
Date/time: Thursday, January 24, 2019 | 2:45 p.m. (ET), 7:45 p.m. (UK)
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, UK
TV: not televised (USA), Sky Sports Football/MainEvent (UK), DAZN (Canada), beIN Sports 2 (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN+ (USA)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com. UK - check local listings
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It’s fine to say “wow, that’s a bad call, match official,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!