These are the matches that are circled on the calendar. Tottenham Hotspur was always likely to draw one of the European giants in the Champions League Group Stage, and after besting Real Madrid two years ago and vitally earning a point against Barcelona during the last match day of the 2018 campaign, this year’s tournament sees German powerhouse Bayern Munich travel to North London.
Bayern is currently first in the Bundesliga table, a very familiar position for the side; last year was its seventh straight title in the top German flight. This season has started with an undefeated record, including a 3-0 win against Red Star during the first round of Champions League matches, giving way to an early lead atop Group B.
A loss on Tuesday does not doom Tottenham’s chances of advancing, but even one point would go a long way, especially after drawing against Olympiacos in Greece. Last year’s wild turnaround showed that anything is possible, but getting results from the first two matches is largely preferable to digging out of a massive hole yet again.
Spurs’ 10-man victory against Southampton over the weekend was a positive sign, although the 2019 season has yet to show consecutive solid performances. Facing Bayern is no easy task, but as in virtually every match, this Tottenham squad is more than capable of securing all three points. It will not be easy — however, this is exactly what teams play for when they compete in the Champions League.
How to Watch
Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Time: 3:00 p.m. ET, 8:00 p.m. BST
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: TNT (USA), BT Sport 2 (UK)
Streaming: BR Live (USA), BT Sport Live (UK), fubo.tv (free trial)
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!