After letting a 2-0 lead slip away in Greece and suffering a 7-2 embarrassment at home the next time out, it looked like Tottenham Hotspur was unlikely to progress out of the Champions League group stage. Instead, Spurs won each of their next three matches in the competition to secure their third straight knockout round appearance, making the return fixture against group winner Bayern Munich irrelevant.
Bayern emphatically proved to be the stronger side after the drubbing in London in October, but Wednesday is unlikely to look anything like the first contest. Both teams are in the midst of heavy domestic battles — Tottenham sits six points out of fourth, while Bayern is just seventh in the Bundesliga table — and have little incentive to play their top options.
Manager Jose Mourinho already made this clear with who was left off the plane to Germany. Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Jan Vertonghen, and Tanguy Ndombele are just a few of the players who will not be seeing the pitch. One would think this makes for the perfect opportunity for some youth players to log some significant minutes, especially after the late subs made last Saturday.
The fixture list has been packed since Mourinho took the helm, and it does not get any easier with a trip to Wolves this weekend. Expect the new manager to use this dead rubber match as a chance to catch his breath and see what he has out of some of the lesser used players on the roster. Otherwise, there is not much to gain from this international journey.
#THFC: Gazzaniga, Walker-Peters, Foyth, Alderweireld, Rose, Dier (C), Sissoko, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Sessegnon, Lucas.— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) December 11, 2019
@WilliamHill latest (18+) https://t.co/MHv9awEWFe #UCL ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/q7XZWqw5pS
How to Watch
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2019
Time: 3:00 p.m. EST, 8:00 p.m. GMT
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
TV: Not televised (USA), BT Sport 2 (UK)
Streaming: BR Live (USA), BT Sport Live (UK), fubo.tv (free trial)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!