Upon the introduction of Jose Mourinho as the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur, everyone raced to the calendar to circle this match. Just a couple weeks into his new role, the new boss gets to face his previous employer at his former place of work; Manchester United unceremoniously sacked Mourinho just under a year ago after two and a half seasons at the helm. On Wednesday, he gets his chance at revenge.
Spurs enter this match 3-0-0 under Mourinho’s leadership, although the Red Devils will be their toughest competition yet. The two sides find themselves competing to sneak back into fourth place, with the visitors sitting two points ahead entering the match. Neither is pleased to be where they are in the table, making matches like this extremely important in the race for a Champions League spot.
While United has overall underachieved this season, Tottenham has typically struggled at Old Trafford. Prior to a surprising 0-3 Spurs victory last season, the Red Devils had won each of the previous five Premier League matches in Manchester. Spurs are just 0-2-1 against big six sides this season, so a win is far from guaranteed.
Of course, these previous results were under the old regime, and the squad is currently looking nothing like its former self right now. On some level, this match will either validate or nullify the first three matches under the new manager. Mourinho will certainly be eager to silence a hostile crowd, so expect some fireworks one way or another.
How to Watch
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!