The Premier League and Champions League are both over! Long live the Nations League! England are in action today in the semifinals of the newest UEFA international tournament against the Netherlands. The winners take on hosts Portugal, who defeated Switzerland 3-1 yesterday behind a hat trick from Cristiano Ronaldo.
There’s an argument to why the newly-formed Nations League is dumb as a sack of rocks, but there actually is a pretty good reason to win it — the winner gains automatic qualification to EURO 2020 which means they don’t have to play their best players during the EURO qualification process. So if England wins it not only do they win an international trophy for the first time since 1966, but they also then don’t feel pressure to play all their best players going forward. And that’s good for Tottenham Hotspur.
Harry Kane, Eric Dier, Danny Rose, and Dele Alli are all named to Gareth Southgate’s Nations League squad. We’ll see if any or how many of them play today.
Here’s your open thread.
Netherlands XI Cillessen; Dumfries, De Ligt, Van Dijk, Blind; De Roon, Wijnaldum, De Jong; Bergwijn, Memphis, Babel— Dutch Football (@FootballOranje_) June 6, 2019
England XI: Pickford, Walker, Chilwell, Maguire, Stones, Rice, Delph, Barkley, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford
How to Watch
Date/time: Thursday, June 6, 2019 | 2:45 p.m. (ET), 7:45 p.m. (UK)
Venue: Estádio D. Afonso Henriques, Guimarães, Portugal
TV: ESPN 2 (USA), Univision Deportes (USA - Spanish), Sky Sports Football/Main Event, (UK), not televised (Canada), Optus (Australia), other listings at livesoccertv.com
Streaming: ESPN+ (USA), Univision Deportes En Vivo (USA - Spanish), fubo.tv (free trial)
Radio: Audio streamed at tottenhamhotspur.com. UK - check local listings
Match thread rules:
- The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations.
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is verboten. It’s fine to say “wow, that’s a bad call, match official,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Nobody loves a potty mouth. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
- Have fun, and COYS!