Happy World Cup Day, everyone! The 2019 Women’s World Cup kicks off today in France, and yes, Cartilage Free Captain will be posting daily open threads for you to watch and discuss the matches.
We don’t do this because there are Tottenham Hotspur players involved — there aren’t — but because the World Cup is a pretty huge deal and it’s football and both things are great. This will be your place to talk about the matches, but also maybe learn more about the international women’s game if you aren’t that familiar (like me!).
Only one match today — hosts France against South Korea at the Parc des Princes.
Need a World Cup primer? Here are a few places to start.
- Kim McCauley on the top 50 World Cup players to watch
- Stars & Stripes FC with a preview of Group A (France, Korea, Norway, Nigeria)
- The best player at the World Cup isn’t playing. Here’s why.
- Black and Red United’s BlasianSays (also a periodic contributor to Carty Free) is doing a team-by-team preview of World Cup squads.
- SB Nation blog All For XI will be providing wall-to-wall coverage.
What to Watch For
France are one of the favorites to lift the World Cup trophy by the end — they’re a really solid team behind defender and captain Wendie Renard and Eugenie Le Sommer. The Taeguk Nangja are dark horses to get out of the group and have solid leadership from Chelsea midfielder Ji So-Yun, as well as a young phenom in Son Hwa-yeon (another Son!).
How to Watch
France vs. South Korea (Group A)
Friday, June 7, 2019 | 3:00 p.m. ET, 8:00 p.m. UK, 9:00 p.m. Paris
Parc Des Princes, Paris
TV: Fox Sports 1 (USA); Telemundo (USA - Spanish); BBC One (UK)
Streaming: Fox Sports Go (cable authentication), Telemundo Deportes En Vivo (Spanish), fuboTV (free trial) *
* Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Carty Free and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.