Though a move to Belgian side Club Brugge looks the most likely for Victor Wanyama, AS Monaco has emerged as a late suitor with ten days to go in the European transfer window.
According to a report out of France, Monaco has decided on a late pursuit for Wanyama. The club has also been linked to AC Milan’s Franck Kessie and Southampton’s Mario Lemina, but has turned to Wanyama in its search of a midfielder. The report says Monaco has already contacted Tottenham Hotspur about the possible transfer.
This could throw a wrinkle in Brugge’s attempt to sign Wanyama, which is apparently almost done. The report says Wanyama had a medical Thursday with the Belgian club and that the two parties have agreed on the player’s wages. Earlier this week, a report from Dutch paper Het Belang van Limburg said Brugge and Spurs were close on the eventual transfer fee, with Wanyama set to be Brugge’s record signing.
However this shakes out, it looks like the one thing guaranteed is Wanyama’s Tottenham exit. In between now and then, it appears the player might be in the middle of a bidding war of sorts. I wonder if he’s flattered.