Tuesday was a nice surprise from Tottenham Hotspur with a rotated side taking down Chelsea in the Fourth Round of the League Cup on penalties. Smack dab in the middle of a five-match, 11-day stretch, it was a huge coup for Spurs to advance in the competition while still saving some bodies for crucial matches later this week.
One of those contests is the final of three Europa League qualifiers. The draws have not been super kind for Tottenham this month, with the previous two rounds taking place in Bulgaria and North Macedonia. This time, though, Spurs will be the host, as Maccabi Haifa comes to North London on Thursday.
Like the previous qualifiers, the the Playoff Round is also single-legged, which is helpful for a worn-down side, but it does leave little room for error. If Tottenham can win on Thursday, there will have to be a big sigh of relief with the schedule opening up and a little breathing room in a group stage setting compared to qualifying rounds.
It goes without saying that Spurs will be large favorites again. Jose Mourinho has fielded strong lineups in the past two Europa League contests and should do so again, especially given the weaker starting XI on Tuesday. The group stage is scheduled to start in three weeks, so a win today will come with a much-needed break from the competition.
Hart, Doherty, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Davies, Hojbjerg, Winks, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Lucas, Kane (C)— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) October 1, 2020
@WilliamHill latest (18+) https://t.co/mM8P2iSMVs #THFC ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/kzi4JU9uN1
October 1, 2020
How to Watch
Date: Thursday, October 1, 2020
Time: 3:00 p.m. ET, 8:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: none (USA), Premier Sports 1 (UK)
Streaming: Bleacher Report (USA), Premier Player HD (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!