I forgot to share this the other day, but here’s another for the weird tennis trophy collection, as presented by 2020 Hamburg Open champion Andrey Rublev.
Ramble of the Day
I couldn’t find a good roundup of yesterday’s business, so I’m just going to use the ramble for that today, but here’s something extra. Deadline day marks the end of player announcement season, and Leeds ended things on a high by announcing the signing of Raphinha from Rennes. The tease was not very revealing, at least to anyone not deeply familiar with Leeds transfer rumors.
A few of us in the Cartilage Free Captain writers’ room thought that might be teasing the signing of Danny Rose, who firmly believes chip shops are better in the northern part of England. The BBC did explain the tweet in the transfer tracker, and it’s better than referencing that a new signing likes fish and chips.
In case you are wondering what this is about, it is firstly a reference to an infamous tweet the club sent late on deadline day in 2014 where they told fans not to go to bed in anticipation of a signing which didn’t come. Instead, they sold two players.
The fish and chips? Well, that is a bit trickier to explain. It would be fair to say the Rennes fans are not happy about Raphinha joining Leeds. And one of them got a bit creative in an expletive-ridden tweet, which ended with a suggestion that Leeds fans do something horrible to their own mother in “your fish and chip country”.
Those fish and chips look delicious, by the way.
Anyway, those transfers:
- Manchester United signed Edison Cavani from PSG, Alex Telles from Porto, Amad Diallo Traoré from Atalanta, and Facundo Pellistri from Peñarol
- Arsenal signed Thomas Partey from Atléti
- Everton signed Robin Olsen on loan from Roma and Ben Godfrey from Norwich
- Southampton signed Theo Walcott on loan from Everton
- Fulham signed Tosin Adarabioyo from Manchester City and Ruben Loftus-Cheek on loan from Chelsea
- Napoli signed Tiemoué Bakayoko on loan from Chelsea
- Roma signed Chris Smalling from Manchester United
- Benfica signed Jean-Clair Todibo on loan from Barcelona
tl;dr: Leeds’ tease of the Raphinha signing was great and you absolutely should scroll up and read the explanation.
Stay informed, read this: Kate Kelly on Tidjane Thiam, banking’s sole Black CEO, and how he faced blatant racism during his time at the top of Credit Suisse for The New York Times
Links of the Day
The FA is investigating a surprise birthday party for Tammy Abraham that Ben Chilwell and Jadon Sancho attended because it may have breached coronavirus protocols.
West Ham terminated Jack Wilshere’s contract.
Arsenal will no longer have mascot Gunnersaurus at matches.
A longer read: Molly McElwee on the need to contextualize blowouts and avoid the assumption of imbalanced competition in the women’s game for The Telegraph