The performance Tottenham Hotspur put on display last weekend was maybe the truest sign that this team could be something special. Though Manchester City dominated the shots and the possession, it never felt like Spurs were out of control. As a result, the matchweek ended with Tottenham sitting on top of the table for the first time in years, and it does not seem like this is a fluke.
In reality, this stay in first place will probably be short-lived, however. There will be points dropped with the brutal upcoming schedule, but even a few draws will keep Spurs in the hunt. Accordingly, it is important to not lose Sunday against Chelsea, their London rival and direct competition in the table. While they were able to eek out a shootout victory in the League Cup, this derby is never a comfortable fixture.
Jose Mourinho lost both league matches against his former club last season in disappointing fashion. Each represented a chance for Tottenham to gain real ground in the top four race, but ultimately it was not to be. Both the 2-0 defeat in December and the 2-1 loss in February were not sharp appearances for Spurs. The current squad does seem like a different entity, though, and Mourhino surely relishes any opportunity to take down The Blues.
Thursday was another dominant Europa League performance for Spurs and shows the sheer depth of the squad. It will be a much tougher challenge on Sunday, though, and if Tottenham wants to be a serious title contender, then these are the matches that require some magic. A draw here is probably fine; surely some supporters would take that option before the match if offered. However, a win would continue to build on this impressive run and show that great things may lie ahead.
How to Watch
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!