Tottenham Hotspur secured a convincing win over Ludogorets on Thursday to move back into a first place tie atop Group J in the Europa League. However, another opportunity awaits Sunday, as third-place Spurs could see themselves move into the top spot of the Premier League table heading into the international break.
That would require defeating West Bromwich Albion, a team Tottenham has not faced in a couple years. The Baggies are the first of the newly promoted teams on the fixture list this season, and they have yet to record a win in seven matches thus far. A wild draw against Chelsea shows they are capable of stealing some points, but this is not a good side right now.
This is the last of four straight league matches that seemed very winnable for Spurs. A victory today would make it 10 points from this stretch, which would be a nice buffer heading into a tricky set of fixtures which brings Manchester City, Chelsea, and Arsenal in the Premier League, with the remaining three Europa League matches sandwiched in between.
While Liverpool and Leicester both have a legitimate shot at dropping points against City and Wolves, respectively, which would give Tottenham the chance to move up the table, there is the added bonus of being the first match on the slate today. Regardless of what happens later in the day, three points against West Brom would put Spurs at the top of the league for at least a couple hours. After all the chaos of the past couple year, that would be a great feeling, even if it is only eight matches into the season.
How to Watch
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!