Tottenham Hotspur has played exactly 20 matches already this season, and just two of them have resulted in losses. The first came during the opening matchweek against Everton — perhaps motivating some key transfers — and the second was a 1-0 defeat against Antwerp in Belgium on the second matchday of the Europa League Group Stage.
Spurs will have a chance for revenge in the sixth and final match of the stage. Both teams have already locked up the top two places in the group, and therefore a place in the Round of 32, but there is an advantage in finishing first in terms of potential draws for the next round, so there is still something to play for.
For Tottenham to claim first place, the scenario is simple: win on Thursday. With Antwerp two points ahead in the table, all the visitors will need to do is draw to hold onto their position. It has been quite the journey for Spurs, winning three single-legged qualification matches and stumbling a couple times in the Group Stage, but a win today would close the chapter on a busy first half of this competition.
Domestically, no team has been more impressive than Tottenham over the past few weeks, taking seven points from Manchester City, Chelsea, and Arsenal while keeping three clean sheets. However, the performance last Thursday against LASK looked lethargic, which is completely understandable, but also a potential harbinger of what is to come against Antwerp. Spurs have the luxury of rotating, but locking up this win would cap off a successful opening to their Europa League campaign.
How to Watch
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2020
Time: 3:00 p.m. ET, 8:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: Unimas (USA - Spanish), BT Sport 2 (UK)
Streaming: CBS All Access (USA), BT Sport Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!