Since the conclusion of the November International Break, things have gone nearly perfectly for Tottenham Hotspur. Three straight clean sheets against Manchester City, Chelsea, and Arsenal have helped Spurs end the past three weeks on top of the table, and Thursday wrapped up a successful Europa League Group Stage with a first-place finish.
With still over two-thirds of the season remaining, there needs to be a constant reminder to pump the breaks, but it is no secret why Tottenham supporters are starting to look ahead. This is arguably the best the squad has looked in years, and there is a real possibility that something special is on its way. However, the squad must take it one match at a time. Up next: Crystal Palace.
A 4-0 win over the Eagles last September was just about the only good result for Mauricio Pochettino last fall. The victory was more of an anomaly than a sign of things to come, and the rest is history. The two sides met again on the final matchday of the season, with Spurs needing a better result than Wolves to clinch a Europa League position. Harry Kane scored in the 13th minute, and Chelsea’s 2-0 halftime lead allowed Tottenham to play conservatively even after Palace equalized in the second half.
Palace sit in the middle of the table with a nearly neutral goal difference thus far. An early 3-1 victory at Old Trafford is probably their best result of the season, but the Eagles have lost three of their five most recent outings. Spurs have proven to know how to best top clubs, but matches have not always been easy this year against lower-table competition. How Jose Mourinho chooses to attack a side like Palace will be interesting to see on Sunday.
How to Watch
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!