At some point in this ludicrous run of fixtures, Tottenham Hotspur was going to stumble. Maybe too predictably, Spurs’ first league loss since the opening match came midweek against Liverpool, an opponent who just seems to have their number. While first place has been lost for the time being, there is no time to wallow.
The difficult stretch continues on Sunday, as Leicester City comes to North London. The Foxes entered the weekend in the top four and just one point behind Tottenham. The visitors may not be in their best form right now, but they look capable of challenging for a Champions League spot yet again.
Last season, Leicester took down Spurs at home on a 85th-minute goal to go ahead 2-1; Harry Kane opened the scoring on an impressive goal that saw him stumbling to the floor. The return fixture played out much differently, with a Kane brace in the first half (one on a clinical counter, the other a superb curler) locking in a 3-0 win and putting Spurs into sixth heading into the final matchweek of the season.
While the result was not as hoped on Wednesday, there were plenty of positives from the match, specifically in the attacking nature of the second half. If Tottenham can keep this philosophy while converting a few more opportunities, there will be plenty of wins ahead. This feels like a key stretch in the season even though it is still early, so rebounding with three points today would be big.
To be added once announced.
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, December 20, 2020
Time: 9:15 a.m. ET, 2:15 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!