With just four points through three league matches and an unconvincing start to the Europa League qualifying rounds, Tottenham Hotspur entered the League Cup Fourth Round with plenty of question marks. Though Chelsea led for most of the match, a late Erik Lamela equalizer and a Mason Mount miss on the fifth round of penalties put Spurs into the competition’s quarterfinals.
If it is hard to remember that Tottenham is still challenging in the League Cup it would be completely understandable. That win over Chelsea was back in September, and with Leyton Orient having to forfeit the Third Round tie due to Covid-19 issues, there has not been much to remember about the cup thus far.
Nevertheless, Spurs should be excited about the potential path forward. Wednesday’s opponent Stoke City sits eighth in the Championship and are one of two non-Premier League sides remaining. Though the match requires traveling and falls during the festive period, this is a great draw and represents the best chance for a trophy at this time.
Tottenham is obviously reeling after back-to-back defeats, but a win against the Potters could help put things back on track. The match should not require the strongest starting XI, and getting to the semifinals would help regain some momentum as the crowded fixture list continues.
How to Watch
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020
Time: 12:30p.m. ET, 5:30 p.m. BT
Location: bet365 Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent, England
TV: none (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: ESPN Plus (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!