Even though Tottenham Hotspur is perhaps finally coming into form, a week and a half break probably was needed during February. Not only are a handful of players still working through injuries, but the end of the month has a couple of critical matches against RB Leipzig in the Round of 16 of the Champions League and against direct rival Chelsea, who is clinging fourth place with a narrow lead (although maybe fifth place is the new target!).
Before both of those fixtures, however, is a trip to Aston Villa. Things have not gone super well for Villa this season, and the club looks to be facing a relegation battle down the stretch. Jack Grealish will likely be gone after this season, and he leads the team with both seven goals and five assists. There is a pretty sizable talent gap between the two squads on paper.
Accordingly, it could be possible that Jose Mourinho has an eye on the two massive fixtures on deck after this one and is planning his lineup accordingly. It should not take a full-strength Tottenham side to grab all three points here, but Spurs will certainly not want to come away with anything less than a win heading into the clash with Chelsea.
Tottenham came away victorious on the opening day of the season, way back when Mauricio Pochettino was still around and when the team was still figuring itself out. Six months later, some of those questions still remain, but it looks like Spurs may finally be on the upswing. It could not have happened at a better time, and a win today would make it three straight heading into a key stretch in the calendar.
How to Watch
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!