Wednesday night did not go well. Without its two best attackers, Tottenham Hotspur struggled to put together scoring chances, and less-than-stellar fullback play ultimately cost the home side the first leg of the Champions League round of 16. All is not lost, and Spurs still have an opportunity to advance, but RB Leipzig was definitely the better side in London.
As important as that match was (and the second leg will be), this Saturday brings about a contest of equal caliber. Tottenham can finally move into the top four — for the first time under Jose Mourinho — with a win over Chelsea. That is always a tall task, however, and outings at Stamford Bridge seem to always turn into something.
EPL Table (Entering Matchweek 27)
The Blues have been struggling recently, which is why Tottenham is in place to jump them. With one point separating the sides heading into the weekend, matches do not get much bigger than this in February. Both teams may wind up in the Champions League next season because of Manchester City’s troubles, but there are plenty of other teams right behind them in the table who are also ready to pounce.
Without Harry Kane and Heung-min Son, Mourinho would be wise to once again rely on speedy players up front to attack on the counter. The Spurs defense has been lacking for most of the year, but if the midfield can lean more toward its second half performance against Leipzig than the first stanza, there is a good chance of Tottenham ending the day ahead of its London rivals.
#THFC: Lloris (C), Tanganga, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Lucas.— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 22, 2020
@WilliamHill latest (18+) https://t.co/1V6ce10zCs#THFC ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/fiHww1LTlS
How to Watch
Date: Saturday, February 22, 2020
Time: 7:30 a.m. ET, 12:30 p.m. BT
Location: Stamford Bridge, London, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), BT Sport 1 (UK)
Streaming: NBC Sports Live (USA), BT Sport Live (UK), fubo.tv (free trial)
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!