I’m afraid we’ll have no pictures of the women’s team this week because the pitch at The Hive was waterlogged. In the meantime, enjoy the very happy men’s team at the top.
Ramble of the Day
It was a pretty special day at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium yesterday, between that goal for Steven Bergwijn on his debut and a fun, if wild, victory over second place Manchester City. Things were pretty entertaining before the match started, too — Joe Jonas of Jonas Brothers took to the field before any of the players did, taking penalties and haning out with Chirpy.
Thoughts, in bulletpoints:
- I hate that I don’t know the name of the man that does the many interviews for Spurs’ video content, but I think he really respects both Joe Jonas and the Jonas Brothers.
- Jonas reveals why he got access to pitch: he’s filming his upcoming Quibi travel show, Cup of Joe, and I’m already groaning at the thought of having to subscribe to another streaming service. I’ll just do a free trial when this episode drops and let you all know how it goes. Still, I’m pretty interested in Jonas’s take on his experience.
- In case you were wondering: Jonas had no football allegiance going into his marriage to Sophie Turner, and hasn’t picked one up in marriage because she’s from a family of rugby supporters.
- I wonder how much of the game Jonas caught before the Jonas Brothers concert at the O2 Arena later in the day — did he catch the VAR chaos? The Bergwijn goal?
- Do you think Jonas is the first person to chest bump Chirpy?
- Imagine being the youth goalkeeper (or other person) who is told, “Today, you’re going to play goalkeeper against one of the Jonas brothers.” I wonder if the instructions included letting him score one.
Finally, I’m not exactly sure how this alters my Jonas brothers ranking. I said Kevin was the best because he testified in the FIFA trial, but maybe Joe is now because he’s not as tangentially related to the sport as Kevin is. I don’t think this adds or subtracts from my recognition of him as the coolest Jonas brother, but while I think this out, I still maintain that Nick isn’t the best.
tl;dr: Joe Jonas was at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, shooting a new Quibi travel show and chest bumping Chirpy.
Links of the Day
AFC women’s Olympic qualifying will go on despite a coronavirus scare at the end of last week, and will follow a reshuffled scheduled decided on earlier.
Liverpool had to postpone a second FA WSL match in a month because of an “unplayable” pitch, this time against Birmingham.
Today’s longer read: Tom Garry on the lack of big transfer fees and contract structures and standards in the women’s game for the BBC