For the third time in under 40 days, Tottenham Hotspur will face Southampton. The Saints handed Spurs an embarrassing loss on New Year’s Day, and the sides drew 1-1 a week and a half ago in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup. The replay fixture takes place on Wednesday, this time in London, with Spurs looking to finally earn a win on their third attempt.
With the team grinding out a climb back into the top four of the Premier League and the Champions League knockout stages soon starting, it is not ideal to be playing yet another replay in the FA Cup, but unfortunately that is how it has shaken out for the second round in a row. Tottenham is still dealing with an assortment of injuries, but expect some rotation across the starting XI. Thankfully there is a little break until the next match after this.
Sunday’s victory over Manchester City could provide the sort of momentum that has been missing this season and may create a need to readjust expectations going forward. It seemed like the FA Cup was the team’s best chance at success this year, but one has to wonder if attention should focus back on the league with fourth place now well within grasp.
Even though the Saints have been improved of late and have gotten the better results in the head-to-head matches, Spurs should not have to sacrifice their long-term goals to win this match. A Fifth Round date against Norwich City is appealing as well, so even if there is renewed hope in the Premier League, expect Jose Mourinho and company to keep charging forward towards the cup.
How to Watch
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2020
Time: 2:45 p.m. ET, 7:45 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: None (USA), BT Sport 1 (UK)
Streaming: ESPN+ (USA), BT Sport Live (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!