For the second time in Jose Mourinho’s short time in charge, Tottenham Hotspur had a chance to jump into the top four by beating Chelsea. On both occasions, the manager fell short against his old club, leaving his new side on the outside looking in. Spurs recovered from the first defeat to get back to the cusp of the top four and will now have to do it again.
Chelsea has dropped points against weaker sides — including a draw against Bournemouth on Saturday — and that is where Tottenham will have to thrive. The domestic schedule should not be too bad down the stretch, so everything is still to play for. However, a Sunday match against Wolverhampton Wanderers is not the best way to follow up a disappointing week against Chelsea and then RB Leipzig in the Champions League.
Premier League Table (entering Sunday)
Wolves are a legitimate threat this season and sit just one point behind Tottenham. In December Spurs were extremely fortunate to escape the Molineux with three points, getting a late header from Jan Vertonghen to snag the lead. If they are to win this weekend, it will likely be due to another close call that sees the team patch something together.
Mourihno is without attackers, but this is simply the reality for the next three months. He has no choice but to figure out a formation that will work and find a way to earn enough points in the league. Top five very well may be good enough to make the Champions League next season, but until that is made official, the goal has to be passing Chelsea for fourth place. That means the month of March has to be very productive.
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, March 1, 2020
Time: 9:00 a.m. ET, 2:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: Not televised
Streaming: NBC Sports Gold (USA)
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!