This can be done, believe it or not. Just last year, Tottenham Hotspur turned a 0-1 home defeat into a two-legged victory over Ajax to advance to the Champions League Final. Tuesday, Spurs face the same deficit heading into Germany against a tough RB Leipzig side that were the better team three weeks ago in London.
Injuries and poor results are quickly mounting up for Tottenham, but a win tonight could change a lot of spirits. It seems like everything is going wrong at the moment, so a trip to the quarterfinals could be the boost needed to save the season — or at least the morale. There may not be many other tangible achievements at the end of the year, so this might be the club’s best shot.
Spurs are struggling to score with all of their ailments, but they are going to have to put in at least a couple goals to advance in the competition. Though Leipzig have the lead and a valuable away goal, it seems unlikely that Julian Nagelsmann will have his squad simply sit back and defend. The opportunities may be there; Tottenham needs to find a way to take advantage.
Most supporters are feeling pessimistic and rightfully so. Spurs are simply bad right now, and Leipzig have been looking like one of the best sides in Europe. However, last season proved that just about anything can happen in the Champions League. Tottenham will not be the favorite to win the tie, but the situation could be much worse than going into a Germany with just a one-goal deficit.
How to Watch
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. Observe Wheaton’s Law. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!