Here we go. This is the match that gets circled when the fixture list comes out each year. It brings joys and satisfaction, it builds rage and depression. It represents so much of what it means to be a supporter of Tottenham Hotspur, from the hatred to the unbearable nerves leading up to the match. This is the North London Derby.
Just one point separates the heated rivals heading into Sunday, with both sides resigned to fighting for a shot at the Europa League places. Arsenal are the team more in form, winning four straight before drawing against Leicester last Tuesday. Meanwhile, Spurs are technically coming off consecutive clean sheets, but no one was that impressed by either performance, especially when the only goal scored in either fixture was an Everton own goal.
Premier League Table
At some level, form must be thrown out the window when it comes to this derby. However, with the strangeness of this season and an empty venue for the first clash at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, it will be interesting to see how the intensity compares to the past. It would be very surprising to see Spurs not throw it into gear for this one, but that may not be enough to earn all three points.
A lot has gone wrong for Tottenham in 2019-2020, but finishing behind Arsenal for the first time in four years is something that must be avoided. A loss today would build the deficit to four points with just three matches remaining; even a draw here makes the task difficult given the team’s run-ins and performance trends. This is the season right here.
Our north London derby team news…— Arsenal (@Arsenal) July 12, 2020
Pepe returns to the side
Auba also starts
Laca completes the front line
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, July 12, 2020
Time: 11:30 a.m. ET, 4:30 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports (UK)
Streaming: NBC Sports Live (USA), Sky Go Extra (UK), fubo.tv (free trial)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!