Well... that felt more familiar. Tottenham Hotspur put up a terrible performance against Sheffield United last Thursday, sliding back to 10th in the table and adding another horrible result to a subpar season. With just six matches left, the Champions League is all but out of the question now, and even a Europa League spot looks distant.
Spurs have a chance to rebound against Everton Monday. It has not been a great season for the Toffees either, though they have taken seven points from their three matches since the restart. Just one point separates the two sides right now, and a Tottenham loss would see home side fall to the bottom half of the table.
Premier League Table
The personnel decisions of late have been as frustrating as ever, but there might not be any relief coming soon. Jose Mourinho will claim that he has not had adequate time to get his side fully settled, but it is hard to see how he will be any more pleased with a limited transfer budget and an atypical offseason ahead. If things are going to improve, it will have to work with the current squad.
With six matches left in an up-and-down season, the goal should be trying to find some consistency and maybe even some positive momentum. There is unlikely to be any real prizes at the end of this season, so supporters will look for whatever glimmer of hope the final month can offer. Three points against Everton would be a start, as any win this year has become a pleasant surprise.
How to Watch
Date: Monday, July 6, 2020
Time: 3:00 p.m. ET, 8:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports (UK)
Streaming: NBC Sports Live (USA), Sky Go Extra (UK), fubo.tv (free trial)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!