Not every win needs to be pretty, but when a team has struggled as greatly as Tottenham Hotspur has for the past 18 months, it would be nice to see some convincing performances. Monday’s 1-0 victory over Everton returned three points that were crucial for staying in the European hunt, but the on-field product left much to be desired.
Spurs have a perfect chance to put on a real display on Thursday. Bournemouth are dreadful and are likely to be relegated, dropping all four matches since the restart. Anything other than a commanding win should be seen as a disappointment and a warning sign that there are serious issues currently holding back this squad — if that was not apparent already.
Premier League Table
A win would boost Spurs into seventh place, one point behind Wolves for sixth and one point ahead of Arsenal heading into this weekend’s North London Derby. While the top five seems out of reach, barring a miracle, the Europa League is still within range. The merits of the competition can be debated among supporters, but given how this season has transpired, a top-eight finish should be seen as a positive outcome.
The attack has been lacking for Tottenham, but Bournemouth represents an opportunity to build some positive feelings. The home side will surely sit back and defend to the best of its ability, so Spurs will need to play up to their potential to find the back of the net. The rest of the schedule is not too daunting, but it will not get any simpler than this. Nothing less than three points would be acceptable today.
How to Watch
Date: Thursday, July 9, 2020
Time: 1:00 p.m. ET, 6:00 p.m. BT
Location: Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports (UK)
Streaming: NBC Sports Live (USA), Sky Go Extra (UK), fubo.tv (free trial)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!