In a completely predictable turn of events, Tottenham Hotspur made it just three weeks into the season before suffering a devastating injury. Heung-Min Son was subbed off with a hamstring issue on Sunday, which can happen when someone plays five matches in just 15 days. There is no reprieve though, as Spurs are set for three more matches over three competitions this week.
Up first is Chelsea in the Fourth Round of the League Cup. Tottenham was gifted a win in the Third Round after Leyton Orient had to forfeit due to a Covid outbreak. With the last make-or-break Europa League qualifier on Thursday and worries over health only amplified with Son going down, this is a competition that Jose Mourinho is probably fine deemphasizing.
Going up against Chelsea makes that decision all the easier. The Blues had a busy transfer window but have yet to enjoy the dividends, picking up just four points through their first three Premier League matches (like Spurs). However, Chelsea won both London derbies between the rivals last season and on paper are better suited heading into Tuesday.
Tottenham could certainly win this match, but is it worth it? The Europa League has to be seen as a big priority right now, and rest has been at a premium. It is never fun to lose to Chelsea, but playing a heavily rotated side on Tuesday seems like the only logical decision. It may be unfair to have to make this decision so early in the year, but the crowded schedule has left Mourinho with little choice.
How to Watch
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020
Time: 2:45 p.m. ET, 7:45 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: none (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: ESPN Plus (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!