The story is getting old for Tottenham Hotspur. Whether or not the team is playing better than its final results is more or less meaningless at this point. Far too many times this season have Spurs gotten out to a lead, only to see it evaporate into a frustrating draw. As a result, they remain in the hunt for the top four but do not look like a real threat for first place.
Of course, this is preferable to being Sheffield United, who finally won a league match for the first time this season (!!) on Tuesday. This is a huge letdown from last year, which saw the Blades challenge for a Europa League spot before ultimately slipping down to ninth by the end of the summer.
Tottenham took just one point out of the two contests last season, drawing 1-1 at home behind Heung-Min Son pouncing on a mistake in the box. Meanwhile, a meaningless Harry Kane goal was all that Spurs could manage in a terrible 3-1 loss in July which dealt a big blow to the their top-four aspirations.
The two squads do not seem quite as close this season, but honestly it is hard to feel overly confident in this team right now. Yes, Tottenham has plenty of talent and the potential to take down anyone, but the consistency is just not there. Playing a full 90 minutes has turned into an impossible task, and more dropped points on Sunday would only add to the frustration.
One change for the Blades.— Sheffield United (@SheffieldUnited) January 17, 2021
Ends Stevens comes into LWB. Osborn & Mousset sit out today's game after picking up knocks.#SHUTOT
How to Watch
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!