It may not feel like it, but today marks the start of the second half of the season for Tottenham Hotspur. Technically, the team has yet to face Aston Villa after a Covid-19 postponement, but a visit from Liverpool represents the first reverse fixture of the league schedule, which feels a little odd coming at the end of January.
Spurs had a surprising stint at the top of the table during the first half of the year, but now sit on the top-four bubble. Thanks to the numerous postponements and reschedules it can be hard to fully gauge the team’s true standing, but with over 50 percent of the season left to play, the biggest takeaway is that there is plenty of time left to make a run.
Thursday brings another match against the least-pleasant team to face. No Spurs supporter needs to be reminded that the Reds have won six straight contests, including a 2-1 victory at Anfield in December. Despite a quick equalizer by Heung-Min Son on a lethal counter, Tottenham still found a way to lose, this time on a last-minute Roberto Firmino header.
If there ever was a time to get over the hump, this would be it for Spurs. Liverpool has been dreadful lately, drawing three times and losing twice over its past five Premier League matches and scoring a total of one (!!!) goal during this span. As a result, Tottenham is just one point behind the Reds — with a game in hand — heading into Thursday. It is completely fair to expect the worst, but maybe this can springboard the team into the second half of the season.
⚪️ Lloris (C), Aurier, Rodon, Dier, Davies, Doherty, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Bergwijn, Son, Kane. @WilliamHill ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/IvFoGIe5F6— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) January 28, 2021
⭐️ #TOTLIV TEAM NEWS ⭐️— Liverpool FC (@LFC) January 28, 2021
Fabinho misses out with a minor muscle issue.
How to Watch
Date: Thursday, January 28, 2021
Time: 3:00 p.m. ET, 8:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), BT Sport 1 (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), BTSport.com (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!