Boy, we haven’t done one of these in a hot minute! It’s a Tottenham Hotspur Women match thread! We’re posting this early to make sure people know that this match is actually happening, especially since it kicks off early in the morning USA time.
Tottenham Hotspur are at Kingsmeadow to take on Chelsea in a match that was originally scheduled to take place on December 19. Unfortunately, the Blues had some COVID outbreaks and the match was rescheduled to today.
Tottenham’s exciting news this past week was the loan signings of two international footballers to the end of the season: England and Manchester United defender Abbie McManus, and South Korea and West Ham central midfielder Cho So-hyun. These are two very good players, but it’s unclear yet if they’ll be in the starting lineup to take on the Blues.
Chelsea are an outstanding team, and are currently joint top of the table with United, though the Blues have a match in hand. They’re scary good and are led by Fran Kirby and Sam Kerr, who both have eight goals. Spurs last played Chelsea in November, losing 2-0 in the FA Cup. This will be the first time they’ll play in the WSL this season.
Tottenham have struggled to score this season, notching only 11 goals so far, but their defense has been pretty good overall. After a slow start, Spurs have won their last three matches under new manager Rehanne Skinner, but will need to play extremely well to get anything from Chelsea today. The one thing Spurs haven’t done yet in the WSL is get a result against one of the Big Four clubs in the league. Maybe that starts today.
To be posted when released by the clubs.
How to Watch
Chelsea FC Women vs. Tottenham Women
Sunday, January 31 2021
7:30 a.m. ET, 12:30 p.m. GMT
Kingsmeadow, Kingston Upon Thames, London, UK
TV: not televised (USA/UK)
Streaming: The FA Player (free, registration required), NBC Sports Live (USA), BBC Red Button (UK)
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, transphobic,
- or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!