Just over a month ago on September 19, the greatest ever Tottenham Hotspur goal scorer passed away at the age of 81. Today, some of Tottenham’s biggest luminaries gathered to say goodbye to Jimmy Greaves and lay his body to rest.
Greaves’ funeral, a private ceremony, was held today at the Chelmsford Crematorium in Essex, and while no details about the service itself were given, the Daily Mail reported a who’s-who of former Spurs players and personalities were in attendance.
Present was former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp, sports presenter Gary Newborn, plus former players Ossie Ardiles, Paul Miller, Micky Hazard, Steve Perryman, Graham Roberts, Martin Chivers, and Pat Jennings. FourFourTwo reports the club sent a large floral wreath with words “We have lost a dear member of our Spurs family. The greatest goalscorer the world has ever seen. Always in our thoughts. With love from everybody at Tottenham Hotspur.” Greaves’ widow Irene was of course present, along with their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
Greaves was Tottenham’s all-time goal leader with an astounding strike record of 266 goals in 379 appearances, and even with Harry Kane inching closer it may never be broken in the modern game. Greaves also was prolific for England, scoring an incredible 44 goals in 57 appearances.
- Former Spurs keeper Pat Jennings Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images
- Former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp with presenter Gary Newbon Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images
- Former players Ossie Ardiles and Paul Miller Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images
- Former Spurs great Martin Chivers Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images
- Former Spurs players Micky Hazard (left) and Steve Perryman Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images