Wednesday’s defeat knocked Tottenham Hotspur out of the FA Cup, removing one main avenue for a trophy this season. The best chance of realizing that goal is through the League Cup, with a place in the final already locked up against Manchester City (who coincidentally would have been the next FA Cup opponent as well).
The cup final is not until April, but Spurs will face City in the league this Saturday. No team has been hotter lately, having won its last 15 matches and not suffering a defeat since November...against Tottenham in London. The two sides have gone in near opposite directions since that day, however.
The 2-0 win was the latest hilarious outcome between these two clubs. A quickly played free kick fed Heung-Min Son in the first five minutes, and Giovanni Lo Celso secured the three points in the second half despite ceding most of the chances and possession. While City is clearly the better team, that has not stopped Spurs — and VAR — from getting results in this fixture.
Accordingly, it may be tough to take too much from Saturday, regardless of the outcome. A loss is expected with both teams’ recent forms, but a win over a superior Manchester City side would be nothing new for Tottenham. It would certainly be welcome, though, as the top four battle is as murky as ever.
Here's how we line-up against Spurs— Manchester City (@ManCity) February 13, 2021
XI | Ederson, Cancelo, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Bernardo, Sterling (C), Foden, Jesus
SUBS | Steffen, Walker, Dias, Aguero, Torres, Mendy, Mahrez, Garcia, Doyle
#ManCity | https://t.co/axa0klD5re pic.twitter.com/Lpr9Qfky9h
How to Watch
Date: Saturday, February 13, 2021
Time: 12:30 p.m. ET, 5:30 p.m. BT
Location: Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England
TV: NBC (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!