The current feelings around Tottenham Hotspur are not positive, with Saturday’s loss being the fifth in the last six matches across all competitions. A top four spot in the Premier League table is quickly slipping away, and the FA Cup campaign is already over. As a result, it will all come down to the League Cup and the Europa League, with the latter resuming on Thursday.
A quick recap of how we got here: Spurs were required to navigate through three one-legged qualifiers before starting the group stage. While there were a few bumps along the way, everything ended up as expected, with the team finishing on top of Group J with a 4-1-1 record and a seeded position in the Round of 32 draw.
The ping pong balls were favorable, as Tottenham drew a matchup against Wolfsberger AC, who currently sits in the middle of the Austrian Bundesliga, as opposed to VfL Wolfsburg, a top-four German club. Wolfsberger is one of the eight worst teams remaining in the competition per FiveThirtyEight, making Spurs an overwhelming favorite to advance.
Covid travel restrictions mean the first leg will be played in Budapest instead of Austria, but regardless of venue, there is no excuse for not taking care of business over an inferior opponent. It is extremely important for Tottenham to get back on track quickly, and perhaps elevating the priority of the Europa League will bring some new life to a squad that desperately needs to improve.
Lloris (C), Doherty, Alderweireld, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Bale, Lucas, Son.#THFC ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/AYj28Ednav— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 18, 2021
Diese Jungs werden heute Jose Mourinho und @SpursOfficial die Stirn bieten! #WACTOT pic.twitter.com/CMDsTuRZQo— Wolfsberger AC (@WolfsbergerAC) February 18, 2021
How to Watch
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2020
Time: 12:55 p.m. ET, 3:55 p.m. BT
Location: Puskas Arena, Budapest, Hungary
TV: TUDN (USA - Spanish), BT Sport 2 (UK)
Streaming: CBS All Access (USA), BT Sport Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!