It was extremely encouraging to see Tottenham Hotspur take care of business against Wolfsberger on Thursday. While the job is not complete just yet, Spurs are highly likely to move on to the next round of the Europa League, which is one of the few positives for the club in the new year.
Much of this is because of absolutely dreadful Premier League performances. Tottenham has lost four of its last five in the league, and as a result somehow sits six points behind Sunday’s opponent West Ham. The pesky London neighbor is experiencing one of its better seasons in a while, and a win over their rival would legitimize the Hammers’ top-four challenge.
Normally I provide some links to highlights from the previous fixture between Spurs and their opponent, but I am not going to bother with this one. For those fortunate enough to have forgotten last October’s contest, just know that the match ended as a 3-3 draw. As painful as that day was, it did help fuel a six-match stretch that yielded 16 points, including five clean sheets and wins over Manchester City and Arsenal.
The clubs have experienced opposite fortunes since that time, but maybe the reverse fixture will end this Freaky Friday situation. A loss does not end Spurs’ top four hopes, but at some point the hole will just be too deep to overcome. On the other hand, a win would provide some new life, and with Gareth Bale and Dele Alli starting to come back into the picture, perhaps there is some promise yet.
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, February 21, 2021
Time: 7:00 a.m. ET, 12:00 p.m. BT
Location: London Stadium, London, England
TV: none (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: Peacock Premium (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!