Aside from a careless penalty, last week’s contest went just about perfectly for Tottenham Hotspur in Budapest. Spurs took care of business against Austrian side Wolfsberger with a convincing 1-4 performance, bringing home a three-goal advantage. Despite the club’s poor recent form, the second leg of the Europa League Round of 32 tie is mostly academic at this point.
Tottenham was always going to be a heavy favorite, but Jose Mourinho played a relatively strong XI in the away leg. It was also a good opportunity to bring Gareth Bale back into the side, though, and he responded with a goal and an assist of Heung-Min Son; Lucas Moura and Carlos Vinicius were the other goalscorers last Thursday.
With Spurs quickly tumbling down the Premier League table, the biggest focus for Mourinho will now be the Europa League. However, given the sizeable cushion over Wolsberger after the first leg, this match is not exactly one that should cause too much stress will allow for some rotation.
Because Arsenal is also hosting a second leg this week, UEFA moved Tottenham’s home fixture to Wednesday (which is as close to the Champions League as we might experience for a while...). Given the number of substitutes allowed in the Europa League, some of the youth should see the pitch as Spurs look to see this one out as simply as possible.
How to Watch
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2021
Time: 12:00 p.m. ET, 5:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: TUDN (USA - Spanish), BT Sport 1 (UK)
Streaming: CBS All Access (USA), BT Sport Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!