What is there left to be said at this point? It is just not working out for Tottenham Hotspur right now, and while there have been a few too many defensive mistakes, the blame has to fall on Jose Mourinho. This is his system and his team, and the results are not living up to the expectations.
Spurs have dropped three league matches in a row. Sure, two were against Liverpool and Chelsea, but the attack has been completely absent, and even a defensively focused strategy cannot stop opponents from scoring. Tottenham rarely gets run off the pitch, but at the same time wins just seem so hard to come by.
West Brom is seemingly a great opponent to get things back on track against, but there are simply no guarantees at this point. It took an 88th-minute Harry Kane header to take down the Baggies 0-1 in November, back when the defense was holding its end of the bargain and there were just enough goals to grind out some wins.
A few months later, confidence is extremely low. The talent is still available, even with Kane sidelined, but there needs to be some sharp improvement all across the lineup for this to work. Things will not get any easier with Everton this Wednesday and Manchester City on Saturday, so it is now or never for The Special One.
⚪️ Lloris (C), Aurier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lamela, Lucas, Son, Kane.@WilliamHill ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/i8glb8Vh2i— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 7, 2021
Team news is in at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Five changes; Peltier, Maitland-Niles, Sawyers, Gallagher and Grant all start. COYB! @MonsterEnergy | #TOTWBA— West Bromwich Albion (@WBA) February 7, 2021
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, February 7, 2021
Time: 7:00 a.m. ET, 12:00 p.m. BT
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), BT Sport 1 (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), BTSport.com (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!